Social Assistance - Ontario Works

Last item for navigation

Social Assistance - Ontario Works


MyBenefits is a new online service for social assistance recipients.

The service is available to residents of Prescott-Russell who are active Social Assistance clients. It is available on a 24/7 basis allowing clients to see the status of all future payments and to report changes through their desktop, tablet, or cellphone.

MyBenefits Computer Screen and Cellphone Images

With MyBenefits, you can:

  • check payment history and view a breakdown and status of each payment;
  • report income from a job or an online program;
  • report address changes;
  • view profile information (e.g. phone number, email, household members);
  • view letters over the last 12 months;
  • communicate with your Caseworker, or someone at your local office;
  • send a document to your Caseworker;
  • receive messages and forms from your Caseworker.

How Do I Sign Up?

Register today at Mybenefits

To register, you need:

  • You will need your Member ID
  • Use the same email address recorded in your Ontario Works file
  • Your date of birth

For additional information, please contact your Case Manager.

Social assistance on behalf of a beneficiary

Do you receive Ontario Works cheques on behalf of social assistance recipients? If so, we now offer direct deposits and electronic statements as a preferred method of payment.

Direct Bank Deposit

The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS) is offering Direct Bank Deposit (DBD) and electronic statements (eStatements) for payments made directly to third parties on behalf of social assistance recipients.

Who does this apply to?

Third party receiving direct payments on behalf of recipients of Ontario Works for shelter-related expenses, such as rent, board and lodge and utilities.

How do I sign up?

You can fill out the registration form and submit your enrolment securely online.

You could also visit the Ontario Central Forms Repository and fill out the form number 006-3216 to submit your enrolment securely online.

To register, you need:

A valid email address is required to register for DBD and eStatements.

Social Assistance - Ontario Works

The Social Services Department administers the Ontario Works Program by providing income and employment assistance for people in temporary financial need. Eligibility will depend on your circumstances. The amount depends on your family size, accommodation costs, your income and assets and your willingness to participate in approved activities.

For more information visit the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services website for more details on any changes.

New method to reach us

You can now reach your local office by email thanks to our new general local office email addresses:

  • If you wish to contact the Rockland Office, you can do so by sending your email to [email protected]  
  • If you wish to contact the L'Orignal office, you can do so by sending your email to [email protected] 

Should you require general information, need to send in your Income Statement Card and/or send us any pertinent information regarding your Ontario Works file, you can send all information to the local office general email.

We value your feedback!

Please take a few moments to complete a short Customer Service Survey about your experience with Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Ontario Works. Survey responses are completely confidential and will help improve our services. Only general information will be shared with the local offices.

Application for Social Assistance

Application for Social Assistance

How to Apply

There are now three ways to apply for Ontario Works.

  1. Online

The online application is:

  • confidential
  • accessible from any computer with an internet connection
  • available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in English and French
  • accessible for people with disabilities

It also includes a screening section that can tell you whether or not you might be eligible before you start the application process. If you chose to proceed with your online application, you will need to attend an in-person verification interview at either the L’Orignal or Rockland office. You will be asked to bring the following information to your appointment

  1. By Phone

Find your postal code below and call the appropriate office, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

613-675-4642 x 6114 /1-800-667-9825 x 6114

613-446-2020 x 103/ 1-866-298-2228 x 103

K0B 1A0-Alfred
K0B 1B0
- Chute-à-Blondeau
K0B 1J0
K0B 1K0
- L’Orignal
K0B 1M0
- Ste-Anne-de-Prescott
K0B 1N0
- St-Bernadin
K0B 1P0
- St-Eugène
K0B 1R0
- Vankleek Hill
K6A …
- Hawkesbury

K0A 1E0 - Bourget
K0A 1M0
- Casselman
K0A 1N0
- Clarence Creek
K0A 1W0
- Embrun
K0A 1W1
- Embrun
K0A 2A0
- Hammond
K0A 2M0
- Limoges
K0A 3C0
- St-Albert
K0A 3H0
- Vars
K0A 3K0
- Wendover
K0A 3N0
- St-Pascal de Baylon
K0B 1C0
- Curran
K0B 1G0
- Fournier
K0B 1L0
- Plantagenet
K0C 1J0
- Dunvegan
K0C 2B0
- St-Isidore
K4K …
- Rockland
K4R … - Russell

The information needed to complete your phone application is the same as what is required to complete an online application. The telephone interview may take up to 30 minutes. If you appear to be eligible, you will be scheduled a verification interview, usually within four working days, at either at the L’Orignal or Rockland office.

The Verification Interview

  • You will meet with a case manager who will review the information you gave over the phone. You and other adult family members who live with you need to be present to complete all forms.
A list of missing documents may be given to you to return within 10 working days
  1. In Person

For those who flee a violent situation or are homeless.

Your Assistance

Your Assistance

Every month that you are eligible, you will receive assistance for basic needs and shelter, and employment assistance.

Interactive Voice Response (IVR)

The IVR is a toll-free telephone system that provides Ontario Works participants the following options:

  • Access information through expanded hours – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Obtain a breakdown of issued payments and new overpayment information
  • Review outstanding verification items
  • Obtain additional benefit eligibility request decisions
  • Report earnings
  • Obtain local office contact details.

Once your assistance is granted, you will receive a 9-digit identification number (member ID) and a 4-digit personal identification number (PIN). Both numbers are required to access your case file at 1-800-808-2268.

Employment Services

Employment Services

Under the Ontario Works Act, 1997 and Regulations, as a condition of employment, every employable applicant or participant must participate in employment assistance activities including:

  • single people;
  • couples with or without children;
  • sole support parents;
  • dependent adults 18 year of age or older

After receiving your initial benefits, you will be required to attend an information session prior to meeting with a Case Manager to develop an effective employment plan. These participation agreements (PA) are reviewed regularly and tailored to your needs. Activities include:

  • community placement;
  • employment placement and job skills training;
  • basic education (completion of a high school diploma).

This presentation on the Ontario Works Program is part of the social assistance application process and gives you an overview of your rights and responsibilities, as well as the services offered in the United Counties of Prescott and Russell.

Program and Services

Program and Services

Family Support Program

An Ontario Works applicant/recipient is required to pursue spousal support payments as a condition of eligibility. The Eligibility does not depend on the actual receipt of spousal support payments, but on the efforts being made to obtain support.

Eligibility Review Program

The Eligibility Review Program reviews and investigates fraud or misrepresentation related to Ontario Works. If there is sufficient evidence to suspect that fraud or an offence under social assistance legislation has been committed, the case may be referred to the police for investigation.

The public is encouraged to report any fraudulent activity

Here are different ways to report to the provincial “Welfare Fraud Hotline”:

  • Online Form
  • Email
  • Fax at 1-866-681-3154
  • Call toll free at 1-800-394-7867
  • Send a letter to the Ministry of Children, Community & Social Services, Welfare Fraud Hotline, Box 333Toronto ON  M7A 1E9

Appeals to Decision

Appeals to Decision

Request for an Internal Review 

An internal review is an informal review of a decision that was made about the financial assistance that you receive.

Appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal (SBT)

If you disagree with the result of the internal review you can appeal the decision to the Social Benefits Tribunal.

What is interim assistance? 

Interim assistance is financial help you may be eligible to receive while waiting for your appeal to be concluded. The SBT may order that you receive interim assistance if you will experience financial hardship. You may apply for interim assistance using the Appeal Form. You will be notified in writing of the Tribunal’s decision regarding interim assistance. If you lose your appeal, your interim assistance shall be assessed as an overpayment on your file and you will be required to repay all of the assistance that was issued to you.

Financial Aid Programs

Financial Aid Programs

Homelessness Prevention

The following programs aim to assist low-income families and individuals:

Emergency Energy Fund

This program helps with energy utility arrears, security deposits and reconnection fees. The emergency fund is paid directly to energy providers.

Provincial Rent Bank Program

This program helps low-income tenants with short-term arrears so they can stay in their homes. They must provide a N-4 eviction notice.

Homelessness Fund

This program helps those at risk of becoming homeless.  

Housing Assistance Fund (new since January 1, 2013)

This fund helps those in immnent danger of becoming homeless for:

  • moving costs to improve their situation, such as obtaining a less expensive rent, fleeing a health hazard place or fleeing a violent situation;
  • last month's rent deposit to secure a rental unit; and
  • energy arrears (hydro/fuel/gaz) with a disconnection notice.
To apply for any of those four programs above, please call 613-675-4642, ext. 6121 or 1-800-667-9825.

Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

This program helps pay Hydro One arrears.  You must first contact the United Way of Greater Simcoe at 1 855 487-5327 for a financial evaluation.

Domiciliary Care Facilities (Hostels)

The domiciliary hostels offer permanent housing, personal support and assist vulnerable adults of the community who, without this support, could suffer health problems and related difficulties and who could otherwise be homeless. The hostels’ standard customers are people with a wide range of special needs, such as persons with mental illness, physical and/or developmental disabilities and/or frail elderly who cannot live alone anymore, but are not ready to be placed in a long-term care facility.

To apply, please contact the:

  • L’Orignal Office: 613-675-4642, ext. 6104 or 1-800-667-9825
  • Rockland Office: 613-446-2020, ext. 199 or 1-866-298-2228



Public and Private Organisations

  • Ontario Provincial Police
    • 911 or 1-888-310-1122
  • Ambulance
    • 911
  • Ontario
    • 211
  • Assaulted women’s helpline
    • 1-866-863-0511
  • Canadian Mental Health Association Champlain East
    • 1-800-493-8271
  • Eastern Ontario Health Unit
    • 1-800-267-7120
  •  Prescott & Russell Community Mental Health Centre
    • 1-800-267-1453
  • Centre Novas-Calacs francophone Prescott and Russell
    • 1-800-772-9922
  • Regional Mental Health and Addiction Centre
    • 1-844-304-1414
  • Clinique juridique de Prescott-Russelll Inc.
    • 1-800-250-9220 or 613-632-1136
  • Groupe action pour l’enfant, la famille et la communauté de Prescott & Russell-Fiers de nos enfants
    • 1-866-363-3210 or 613-632-7837
  • Mental Health Crisis Line 24/7
    • 1-866-996-0991
  • Maison Interlude House
    • 1-800-461-1842
  • Care Program for victims of Assaults HGH
    • 613-632-1111
  • Victims/Witness Assistance Program
    • 1-866-296-0164 or 613-675-1991
  • Prescott & Russell Victim Services
    • 1-877-632-7530 or 613-632-5282
  • Community Services of Prescott & Russell
    • 1-800-267-0853 or 613-632-0939
  • Probation Services
    • 1-877-680-7832
  • Valoris for Children and Adults of Prescott & Russell
    • 1-800-675-6168


  • Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
    • 613-737-7600
  • Hawkesbury and District General Hospital
    • 613-632-1111